Scrollica



I subscribe to the Project Gutenberg (public domain electronic books archive) recent additions RSS feed and it often brings to my attention books that I would never go looking for.  One of these I checked out recently was called Pictorial Photography in America 1921 by Pictorial Photographers of America.  I was just curious...



I found this passage interesting (1921):
Is Photography to Remain a Black and White Art?

[Question] “What forecast, Mr.White, do you make of future developments in photography? Is it to remain a black and white art, or are photographs in natural colors to supersede the familiar photograph of the present day in our exhibitions and in our homes?”

[Answer] “I think that the fundamental expression of photography is in black and white, and as we develop what I would call the definite photographic quality, black and white will maintain its present ascendency.”



Anyhow, at the end of the long gallery of Pictorial photos I found this ad.  Everything is in black and white in this book and the various shades of gray and the great variety of small details made me think that this would make an excellent candidate for block waving in Showfoto.  As usual, it turned out differently.




Once again (I did this before in a post called Spider Writing) I discovered it was the text areas that were the more interesting parts when block waved.  I guess the construction of text is so complex and the combinations of characters has such variety that one gets an enormous amount of unique imagery when you do strange things to it like block waving.  The camera images were all pretty much the same.



It's a type of artwork that consists of details.  I would call it nano-art.



This is what machines do.  They don't take photographs -- they make photographs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

The Wheel of Digital Art

Cloud Star