Fractal Dim Sum

Can small pictures be an artform?
It all started with my file browser. I wanted to be able to browse images at the same time as other files, so I adjusted the size of the thumbnails in my Linux file browser, Nautilus, to the size that they would be in any decent image viewer when in browser mode.

Funny thing though; sometimes the thumbnails looked better than the larger versions. I would get all excited seeing something I had made a few days previously, and then when I clicked on the thumbnail and the full size image appeared I would be disappointed with it.



Sometimes Art Can Be Too Big?
Yes, that's right. It's not just a matter of the smoothing effect of anti-aliasing that usually occurs when a small thumbnail is made from a large image; I thought about that right away. Smaller images just seem to change the context in which they are viewed.

It's the same way with Chinese Dim Sum. Dim Sum, meaning little bites (or so I'm told) is where you go and eat a lot of little snack-like Chinese food items instead of the usual plate of something. Some of the items are special, but really there's not a whole lot of difference between Dim Sum and going to a buffet. But with Dim Sum you just eat a little bit of a lot of things. It's different.



A Step Backwards
So I started to make smaller images instead of larger ones. Normally it goes the other way; one tends to make larger, more intensive works as they become more skilled.

Hmmmn... that's a disturbing thought. But I really think I'm on to something. There's a subtle, but distinct style to these 300x400 and 320x320 images. For many people, that's the size of their thumbnails. I find this genre to be more casual and experimental. I save images that I normally wouldn't because I feel, for some strange reason, that it's not a big deal if their appeal is shallow since they have such a small "footprint".



Like Dim Sum; if you bite into something and find it's not what you were expecting -- then so what? They're gone with one bite. No big deal. Try something else. I don't think you'll like the chicken's feet.

Image Notes:
Made in Sterlingware, India Inked, Mirror Mirrored, Hue adjustment, &c

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

The Wheel of Digital Art

Cloud Star