The Crash of Color


Tierazon fractal image modified with India Ink.8bf (fine black engraving lines) then uscomic.8bf (bright 4-color comic book color and colored lines).


I've always found making artwork like this to be fun and since it's just a hobby I've never really taken offense when this sort of thing has been described as "Eyecandy". I've never thought of imagery like this as serious art, that is noteworthy or important, but having done some research and thinking about serious art over the years since I started this hobby of digital/computer/generative - art - I'm beginning to see the serious art as being not so far removed from what is often called eyecandy.

What changed my mind about all this and got me started asking myself, "Is eyecandy really just eyecandy?" was a quote by Marius Watz:
The derogatory term “eye candy” has plagued digital art since its inception, and has often been used to deride generative visuals in particular.

I think what it comes down to is partly a lack of intent. Since generative art is "generated" it seems reasonable to assume that such a process which is deliberately lacking in human manipulation and direction rarely produces work that expresses the inner thoughts and feelings of the artist. That alone used to be enough to persuade me that generative art wasn't serious stuff like the work of a real artist like Picasso or all those other serious folks.

Art that lacks expression or feeling must certainly be shallow, trivial stuff and consisting of nothing more than something "sweet" to look at - hence the eyecandy label.


The first image modified by Picture Chopper.8bf (Harry the Raver)


Although I feel there really is a category of art that is shallow and "pretty" and best described as eyecandy, I'm becoming convinced that there is another type of art that, for lack of proper understanding (including my own), forms a different type of art, posessing the more substantial qualities that fine art does, but which has been carelessly lumped in with the eyecandy simply because it shares the same digital and generative origins.

Sometimes the difference is plainly obvious, but more often one has to really think about what they're looking at and that can be challenging when the subject matter is largely abstract and open to various interpretations. Just like the crushed stuff I've got here...

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

Journey to the center of the machine

Nighttime travels