Test-Tube Art


Inkblot Kaos parameter file


Back to fractals. I think I did something to the other machine. It's leaking oil, or something. I smell something "electrical", too.

My seven year-old daughter was recently invited to a birthday party. While we were looking around in the Barbie Doll aisle of a department store for a suitable present, me and my nine year-old son came across a misplaced item --TEST-TUBE ALIENS.

I can't imagine who would put down a kit for "making" aliens in a test-tube and choose a Barbie doll instead because my daughter soon shared our interest in this hand-held Easy Bake oven for mutants. Some poor girl must have gotten a Barbie doll after her mother intervened and told her she'd probably have a lot more fun with a glamour pageant Barbie doll than the TEST-TUBE ALIENS that she picked up on the other aisle (where all the exciting, boy's stuff is).

My interest in the TEST-TUBE ALIENS subsided somewhat after reading on the back that there were three or four different kinds, and they all had pre-detremined names -- and predetermined shapes too, it seemed.

That's no fun. I was expecting something more along the lines of a genetic experiment with such scrambled genes that the back of the box would only speculate on what they might look like and offer a guarantee that what crawled out of the test-tube wouldn't threaten the human race with extinction. Ideally, it would also have come with a small handgun for terminating the experiment should things get out of hand... chains break, radio-activity be detected.

Guys like me won't be designing children's toys anytime soon.


Inkblot Kaos parameter file


Fortunately fractal programs are also test-tubes -- digital ones -- and have very few restrictions on them, which makes for hours and hours of frightening recreation. The results aren't always pretty, but for the mad scientist in the family, they are rarely boring.

Now if you'd prefer to take a look at the Barbie doll aisle instead...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

Journey to the center of the machine

The Wheel of Digital Art