Why I don't use Ultra Fractal



In a nutshell, it doesn't do what Inkblot Kaos, Sterlingware, Tierazon or Xaos does. I want something that sprouts artwork after a couple of clicks. Ultra Fractal? It's just too much work. Too many layers Too many moving parts. Too many moving parts that I have to move.



My first attempt at Ultra Fractal was three or so years ago. I don't remember what version. I didn't seem suited to it, but I didn't think much about it at the time because I had plenty of other new fractal programs to work with. I didn't know much about fractals in general, so I discounted my doubts about Ultra Fractal figuring I just didn't understand it.



I picked it up again a year later because I had seen some really awesome artwork made by Paul DeCelle. I looked at Paul's work and thought, "I want the machine that made that and I don't care if I have to pay for it". Well I downloaded some UF parameter files by Samuel Monnier (thanks, Sam) in hopes of getting some insight into the secrets of making these intriguing images. I have never seen anything take so long to render. It had something like 18 layers or parts to it.



Yes, some of you may be thinking, "Only 18?". Well, I got Paul's machine all right. What I didn't realize at the time, but I have now come to understand, is the machine doesn't make the artwork, the artist uses UF as a tool to make the artwork with. The program doesn't come with an artist.



You see, that's the whole problem. There's no digital Rumplestiltskin inside UF like there is in most other fractal programs. Stop me if I'm wrong, but UF is all about layers, and layers are chosen and positioned by a human mind and not a computer algorithm, although an algorithm may have made each layer, separately. This may explain why there is very little really "freaky" stuff made in UF: there's too much artistic control.



To borrow an expression from the Bible: Freaky is begotten, not made. It comes from chaotic and mathematical algorithms, not from human hands, not even talented human hands. (And your own skill and talent is the key requirement for making good artwork in UF.)



Even Gertrude Stein agrees with me. Here's what she had to say about UF; "Freaky is not as strange as we can imagine. Freaky is stranger than we can imagine."

Tim Hodkinson

Technorati Tags:

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

Journey to the center of the machine

Nighttime travels