Beautiful Empty Image



I think one's mind needs time to grow before they can relate to some of the higher aims of art. Lately I've been sensing the emptiness of simply "nice" looking fractal images. It's strange because I've always liked the pretty, eye-candy fractals and found that sub-genre quite inspiring.

My recent return to using Xaos in it's new revision (3.2 from 3.1) seems to have brought to fruition the concept of art as more than something nice to look at. There's nothing new about this; it's one of the oldest themes in art, that being, ideas; turning the wheels of the mind instead of just the little pinwheels of the eyes.

Xaos excels at color, and color is the stuff of pretty pictures. But this time around using Xaos I've been a little bored with just making colorful, sugary things. In fact I've allowed a number of images, that I would have previously considered "great", to fall onto the digital workroom floor and become lost because they just have this empty, more of the same, look to them.


The Apotheosis of Beauty: a sublime smudge; a dishtowel canvas; the image is mortal


This isn't to say that I'll never make another "nice" picture again, but it's just not the apex of my hobby anymore. The fog has cleared, somewhat, and I can see there's more to the mountain than I knew of before. Occasionally I'll probably get homesick for the junk I used to make.

So often lately, I've found myself intrigued by how an image changes it's "mood" while being twisted and zapped by graphic filters and effects. The images aren't particulary pretty, but they're interesting in another way, in the way they change, disintegrate; in the way they're washed away.

Part of growing up is putting away childish things. It's natural. We put them away because our minds have changed and the toys of childhood don't excite us anymore. It isn't necessarily total or absolute, but the newly built rooms of our mind compel us to leave the nursery and explore. Which ironically, is just what any child would do.

Technorati Tags:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

The Wheel of Digital Art

Cloud Star