What is art for?

Download parameter file "dynamo01.ink"



I used to have an answer for that. But just as it says in the old saying, "The more you know, the less you know" I know a lot more about art now and I feel my answers have become inadequate.

Art is for the enjoyment of beauty. Art is the enjoyment of beauty. Therefore the purpose of artists is to add to the worldwide, pan-historic collection of beautiful stuff.

But it's not that simple. I see on the internet and elsewhere a great interest or passion for making artwork that isn't necessarily worthy of being included in the Louvre, and was never intended to be.

What is that art for?

Download parameter file "mandel01.ink"



I also sense that there are many people who enjoy making artwork that seems to have little appeal to the majority of people around them and yet this rejection or indifference doesn't discourage them one bit.

Why are they making such bohemian things?

I don't know. All I do know, or rather, all I know now, is the art world revolves around more than one thing or purpose.

We all know the big purpose; the great gallery of excellence, the artistic Tower of Babel. One of the other ones (there could be many) is just having fun.

This other motive is different because it doesn't matter so much what other people think about what you're making because your creative activity is it's own reward and needs no justification.

Download parameter file "plate17.ink"



Of course if you like the junk you're making, then other people who share your taste in art will also like it. Will it become famous and respected by the "world?" Or should I say, will you become famous and respected by the world?

Maybe. Who cares? How can the opinions of critics add to the value of your work?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

Journey to the center of the machine

The Wheel of Digital Art