The big picture

Every now and then I accidently zoom-out.


Download parameter file zoom.loo


When I was little, I remember contemplating the fact that the moon, which I knew was very large, could be blotted out entirely by my hand.

Later on, probably the teen-aged years, I realized that small things look big when you're right up close to them. Similarly, other people's lives look small or irrelevant because we see them from a distance.

I think any study of history should eventually lead one to conclude that the larger part of human experience dissipates into nothing after a few years and that beyond the influence we have on the tiny group of people around us like family and friends, our existence is imperceptible.

Forgot where I was going...

The big picture. Zooming out. Okay, that's my point, we're not in the big picture. Actually, no one is.

And yet, we appear so large and dominating in our own eyes. Yes, because we are so close to we. I mean, you are so close to you.

But zoom out... Aha! You see what historians will probably see, and write about, and hypothesize about. And it has no faces.

Even the famous are forgotten. What remains even of Caesar?

If we went back in time how would we recognise him? By his face, the sound of his voice? No, by his name or title or the emblems he wears.

History is a residue.

Caesar, the public figure, lives on in the encyclopedias. Caesar, the man, is as forgotten and lost as his servants and neighbours are.

Only the fossilized husk remains, anonymous and empty.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

Journey to the center of the machine

Nighttime travels