Go forth and fly in the kingdom of light

Shoovaloon! Great golden flash of... flashy golden... flash thing...


Download parameter file pastel01.loo

When I first started making fractals with Sterlingware, I used the default image size of 160x120 pixels. I thought the ideal image file size was 5k, but sometimes I would go as big as 10k if the image had a lot of detail and was pretty good.

Later I moved up to 160x160 and then 200x150. I still tried to keep to the 10k maximum.

I noticed that everyone else's fractals were huge and had file sizes of a couple hundred kilobytes. I thought that was just too big, unneccesary too.

But I then moved up to 300x300 and 300x400 and moved the max file size limit to 50k. Occasionally a really good one would step over that limit and hit 60 or 70k.

This week I stepped up to 500x375, which is also the default size for Xaos, and posted some images that were over 100k.

The longer I do this, the larger the images get and the fewer I make. At this rate I'll be up to 1000x750 in a year's time and be quite satisfied if I can make a jpg or png that is under a megabyte.

So how big is too big?

Monitors get bigger, bandwidth gets wider.

One thing will never change: If it looks like garbage, even a filesize of 1k is too much. But a good image is worth a several MB download, on dialup too.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

The Wheel of Digital Art

Clicking With 50 Afghanis