The fractals of Solomon

The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing
-Ecclesiastes


Download parameter file mesh4.loo

One of the few books I read when I was younger, that I really liked, was Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.

I even read the introduction and a prologue or something where Ray Bradbury explains that he never actually intended to write a book, he just wrote a bunch of short stories.

The writer was never inspired to write a novel, but he was inspired to write about a place. The fragments of that place became a book.

Recently I read a book about the oil industry in Canada called Roughnecks and Wildcatters by Alan somebody. It was just a collection of anectdotes taken from interviews of people who had worked in every part of the oil industry.

I had trouble putting the book down. Each anectdote was a little magnet holding my attention and pulling me to the next one. I couldn't find a place to stop reading.

The semi-literate oil workers wrote this marvelous book. Their anecdotes were all that composed it except for a very short introduction by the compiling editor at the start of each chapter.

Anyhow, Bradbury went on to write the short story collection, Illustrated Man. In one story, books are banned and so a library is made up of individuals who have chosen to memorized their favourite book and thereby preserve it for others.

The main character, who I thought was Bradbury writing about himself, memorized the biblical book of Ecclesiastes, popularly thought to be written by King Solomon.

I always think of the above quote when it's late at night and I should be going to bed instead of working on more fractals. It's just too captivating and the eye never has enough of seeing.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

Journey to the center of the machine

The Wheel of Digital Art