Fractal Watercolors

The closest I ever came to making real artwork was when the teacher showed us how to do a "wash."


Download parameter file watercolor01.loo

Drawing was hard and painting impossible, but covering the paper with water and painting on it seemed like cheating.

Today I see it as a primitive drawing program. The blurry shape of things to come, no pun intended.

The washing thing produces this fine airbrushed background that forms what us digital folks refer to as the background "layer."

Let it dry, a bit, and then paint any semi-neanderthalic scene on it and it looks not too bad, for a change.

I started with a washed out horizon. Added a washed out green ground area below and a washed out blue sky area above, then stopped to let it dry and started to actually imagine myself as being an artist someday.

Continuing with this "lots of paint" technique, I painted a fence line of short, scraggly hawthorne trees. The less I painted the more the washed background stood out and the two complemented each other nicely.

Into this practically completely masterpiece I began to add my the image of my white pony with his fat hay-belly.

It didn't turn out as well. Rather smugdy and the legs looked rubbery. Alright, make another one.

At some point I kicked myself free from reality and began to develop a series of ghost-like creatures. Rubbery and smudgy looked okay now.

My Mom loved it and even went on to frame it and hang it up on the wall at home. She still has it and I think she was actually being honest about how much she liked it.

I never made any more after that. I retired from art while back in high school, satisfied and undefeated.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

The Wheel of Digital Art

Clicking With 50 Afghanis