Ice

It used to really bug me to see an image on a fractal site and hear how the artist really liked it because it looked like something real, like a flower or animal. It bothered me because fractals don't have to impersonate or represent "real things" to have artistic value.


Download parameter file ice.xpf

But here I am, doing the same thing, so forget all that.

First the serious stuff. It's a plain mandelbrot; default plane, "mu"; edge detection, although it doesn't look like it; iteration outcoloring; iterations lowered from 170 to 70.

None of that explains this arctic snow drift formed from sea ice, broken and pushed up. Or the blowing snow and ice crystals that swirl about and merge into the starry sky...

If you've never experienced winter, and most people on earth haven't, think of it as a sand dune and ignore the bit about blowing crystals.

Strangely enough, the file size of this image is large (115k) for the sort of stuff that I usually make. But I think it's because of the large number of colored pieces that make up the dark blue sky.

It doesn't look like it, but it has 96 colors in it. It also has a huge blank area, which should have greatly reduced the file size. But who cares, except me and other people out there who still have dialup. The big file size is worth it though, because I really like how it looks like a snowdrift.

I think it would make a nice Christmas card. It's just a snow drift and a clear night sky. Leave the inside blank and don't print Merry Christmas or Happy New Year on it and you could use it all winter, even for birthdays.

I like blank cards. But some people think they're cheap. So I always write something really meaningful and special inside to make up for that. Five for a buck at the dollar store, envelopes included.

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

The Wheel of Digital Art

Clicking With 50 Afghanis