I like Christmas junk

Imagine an ICBM silo. Imagine a Christmas tree. Now, with your mental graphics program, start to morph them together and stop half way.


Download parameter file xmas01.loo

Well, you don't get this image, although it has a Christmassy look to it also.

I saw this cheesy, singing, 8-inch, ornamental Christmas tree for sale. You press the red button on the base and the top two-thirds of the tree starts to rise up, in missile silo fashion, revealing a miniature revolving Santa and reindeer underneath.

Syrupy music plays for a short time and is drowned out by a squeaky, child's voice exclaiming, "I LOVE YOU SANTA!!!!!! I LOVE YOU SANTA CLAUS!!!!"

More cheap music while Santa and the deer go once more around the tree. "I LOVE YOU SANTA!!!!!! I LOVE YOU SANTA CLAUS!!!!"

A blast of music, the sled grinds to a halt. Down comes the evergreen cone and the hidden party is silent and camouflaged waiting to be launched by the red button.

There are a few questions: What sort of freak designed something like this? I would like to have listened in on the production meetings. Why do I like it? Have they finally figured out how to market to the nutcase segment of society? Should I then expect even better stuff next year?

I remember a scene in one of the Planet of the Apes movies where the mutants were having a "church" service. There was a big silver cone, a nuclear warhead, set up in front for everyone to worship. They sang hymns like "Oh Bomb!"

I think Santa and his nuclear Christmas tree would fit in well in any atomic shrine. A little bigger, perhaps, and add a flashing light and siren to it. Yikes, maybe I'm the kind of freak who designs things like this...

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

Journey to the center of the machine

The Wheel of Digital Art