Die Fractelung

Supposed to be German. I think it's close enough.


Download parameter file shadow.xpf

Once upon a time, back in university, down a remote and rarely used hallway was an art gallery. It was always closed when I walked past it. The whole campus was generally in a state of semi-hibernation.

Twice in the four years I was there, it was open. I always went in (no charge) and looked around.

There was a display made up of old photographs blown up and put onto laminated styrofoam sign-board material. The photos were grainy and of low quality, the kind I like.

I don't know who was behind the exhibit because there wasn't really any artwork around, just this photo display that could have been set up in a shopping mall. But I used to browse through the library on a Saturday night for fun, so I wasn't going to leave just yet.

The photos were of turn of the century Wagnerian stage sets with titles like, "Klingor's Keep" and "Tristan and Isolde" or something like that.

I've never seen an opera by Wagner, but these stage sets done by some famous designer and recorded in these decaying black and white photos were spectacular.

I couldn't take anything from the gallery with me, so I did the next best thing and went to the library and searched for anything they might have.

I found a couple really good ones, framed them and put them up in residence. There's not much to these stage sets since they're designed to be empty really, and used for an opera.

Anyhow this fractal image jumped out at me when I first came across it in Xaos. I especially like the little doorway nook and the luminous curtains at the bottom and the glowing mesh to the right of the door.

Surely this is the fabled mountain, the forge of the universe, where pounding hammers, sparks, soot and smoke, has poured forth continually since time began to tick.

Anyhow, it's an odd image for a fractal, and that's saying a lot since fractals are generally unusual. A good rule of thumb is to expect the unexpected.

Popular posts from this blog

Fog and Fyre

The Wheel of Digital Art

Clicking With 50 Afghanis